Jewish Cemetery

Trip to history

History with a view

During the period of the creation of the new Jewish community, the Jewish community in Dolní Kounice acquired a suitable plot of land for the construction of a new cemetery under Šibeničná hora. The cemetery is actually located just above the Jewish quarter, just 200 meters south of the synagogue, on a slope above the village and has a beautiful view of the city and the river.

Tombstones are distributed throughout the cemetery. The oldest from the 17th and 18th centuries is located in the northern part of the cemetery. In total, there are 1,500 tombstones in the cemetery. They are all facing east with their inscriptions. The oldest is from 1688 and belongs to a man named Josua Selig ben Jacob Braunschweig. Until the middle of the nineteenth century, the inscriptions were cut out in Hebrew, later in German. Several tombstones bear the surname Kreisky. It belongs to the family of the Austrian Chancellor Bruno Kreisky.

Services

family-friendly

 

suitable for seniors

 

possibility to take pictures

 

parking 50 meters

 

Openig hours

Open all year round

 

Tourist information center
Masarykovo nám. 66/2
664 64 Dolní Kounice

tel.: 739 652 980, 513 030 427